Ion Color Brilliance Brights

If you want to stand out in a crowd—and who doesn’t?—check out new Ion Color Brilliance Brights! Available in eight bold and brilliant shades—Purple, Fuschia, Aqua, Sky Blue, Teal, Orange, Magenta or Red—this haircolor spectrum will appeal to the artist in you.

As anyone who has used radical color knows, to get vivid, true-to-tone results, pre-lightening is a must. Use a lightener formulated for on-scalp application, such as Ion Color Brilliance Powder Lightener, mix and process according to the enclosed directions. It is important to note that the degree of lift achieved with pre-lightening will directly affect the vibrancy and intensity of the final result.

Also, keep in mind that lightening reveals your hair’s undertone. This underlying pigment must be taken into consideration because your final result will be a combination of this exposed undertone and the new color you apply. For example, if the exposed underlying pigment is orange or a dark yellow, it will contribute to the final color.

So, read all directions before applying anything to your hair. Follow the guidelines for lightening your hair color level, and use the color wheel to help you select the perfect shade.

After shampooing and drying hair, simply apply the selected shade of Brights, and process for 20 to 40 minutes depending on color intensity desired. It’s very important to strand test every 5-10 minutes to be sure you get the results you want. After processing, rinse hair thoroughly and apply Ion Color Brilliance After Color Treatment to close the cuticle and lock the color in.

During May, to celebrate the launch, you’ll receive Ion Color Brilliance Powder Lightener FREE! when you purchase any shade of Color Brilliance Brights.

• Crysta Cook

May 21st, 2012

I love these colors! I ALWAYS put color in my hair, and have had everything from bright red to a deep purple! I’m excited to use these this summer on my bangs!

• Chelsea

May 21st, 2012

How long does the color last?

• Angela

May 22nd, 2012

I bought the purple and put it in on friday. I love it. I just hope it lasts as long as punky colors does on my hair (or longer)

• Ion Color Brilliance

May 22nd, 2012

When applied to prelightened hair it can last for weeks! it depends on porosity. Check it out on the sally beauty website http://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-color-brights/ION153,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

• Amanda

May 22nd, 2012

I put in teal and was pleasantly surprised how long it took to begin to start fading. I put it in May 2nd and it’s just now starting to fade.

• Violet

May 24th, 2012

I tried three of the the Ion Brights shades: the purple, fuschia, and the aqua! If you want to see my detailed review and tutorial, give a look at the link to the video I provide below. I had both good (mostly very good) and some feedback/criticism to say about Ion’s new line. I hope it is helpful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYyFdNqOTy8&list=UU9SPIlvmzLbnR-bmlVVTmZQ&index=1&feature=plcp

• Jaunnette

May 28th, 2012

Loved it. For about a week. The color came out beautifully brilliant, and I couldn’t have been happier. First wash, the color mostly held on, second wash and it dulled, but not enough to put me off. Third wash and I no longer had fuschia. I’m now four or five washes in and in a few spots I’ve got baby pink, which wouldn’t be bad if it were all over. Then there’s the nearly bare bleach, and a few orange-ish spots. Just two weeks and less than half a dozen washes. Has not lived up to expectations at all.

• kasey

May 29th, 2012

Used the red and i love it!! Almost a month and the color barely washed out. I didnt even have to prelighten for a bold and bright red! My roots are coming in now so time for a touch up, but i really love it!

• daniela

June 5th, 2012

Not a huge fan, I loved the color (teal) but after about 4 washes it started to fade..it was a nasty green blonde color. I really did like the color at the beginning. Does not last much and I did bleach my hair. I give it a 2 out of 5.

• Alicia

June 21st, 2012

I bought the sky blue & have yet to try it. I have already lightened my hair & will be trying it out very soon. Hope I have better luck than some. :/

• Destiny

June 30th, 2012

The color was great! I used both sky blue and teal, and although it has faded over three weeks, it still looks pretty blue. Make sure to use a shampoo and conditioner meant for dyed hair to make sure the color lasts! :)

• Stormy

July 1st, 2012

I love these colors! I have used the purple for a homemade toner and aqua in my bangs and layers. I dyed it with the aqua 7 weeks ago and my hair is a sky blue now. I used a post treatment product by Ion and color preserve shampoo.

• Meagan

July 4th, 2012

I LOVED these colors! I have used the fuschia so far, and contrary to the other reviews, mine stuck like glue! The ONLY thing that changed the appearence was chlorine from my pool. I shower everyday and the only time it faded was when i wasn’t careful and jumped into the pool. Most of the time I wouldn’t let my hair get wet in the pool. Bought the aqua today and SO excited to use it!!!!!!!

• Adrienne

July 14th, 2012

Does anyone know how the semi-permanent colors do in pool and salt water?

• Lindsey

July 16th, 2012

Adrienne – If you’re going in the water, we suggest using the Ion Sun Spray. It will help keep the color from fading. http://www.sallybeauty.com/sun-protection-spray/SBS-302027,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

• Regina

July 16th, 2012

Can I add a little developer to make it easier to apply??

• Kelly G in ATX

July 20th, 2012

I’m a natural redhead and have been wanting to add a shock of pink/purple to my bangs. I wasn’t sure how I’d like it, but I tried the Fushcia (without prelightening) and it looked ok. It’s been a week now and it’s pretty much almost gone. I definitely want to try again, but with lightening this time. I think too, that because I don’t color my hair at all (I’ve colored twice in my entire life), that it didn’t stick because the hair wasn’t “ruined” enough to grab the color. I would like to know if you can mix it with developer, to make it be a bit more permanent?

• CC

July 22nd, 2012

Never using this product again. I got the purple. It says it can be used on natural unlightened hair as well as previously dyed hair. I applied it to my natural hair, and waited almost an hour before I went to rinse it out, it turned my hair a dark red/red-brown instead of any kind of purple like it was advertised to become. I was very disappointed, any one know of a better purple for hair coloring that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

• Ren

July 25th, 2012

ION HAIR COLOR IS THE WORST I’VE EVER USED! I tried to use a black semi-permanent on a boyfriend’s virgin hair for halloween and it was the biggest waste of my time and money. There wasn’t even a half shade difference. I shouldn’t have to bleach the heck out of my hair just to get their poorly formulated pigment to stick. Especially something like black. I just tried the purple brilliance color, just to give it a shot and was again massively disappointed by the waste of my time and money. It left a dull color on the parts that had been bleached and the areas where my natural color was growing in is EXACTLY the same color. Total crud. Don’t bother. Buy the Manic Panic.

• misty

July 26th, 2012

to the people saying that its junk because it doesnt stickto virgin hair: haircolor doesnt stick to virgin hair, and these colors are usually designed for prelightened hair. maybe you should do some research. and for the record, everytime ive used manic panic….even with prelightened hair it never turned out. everyones hair is different is what you have to keep in mind

• Nikki

July 31st, 2012

The orange is AMAZING!

• Tara

July 31st, 2012

Iv been dying my hair for exactly a year today and iv had lots of different products. My absolute favorite are these. The purple goes great with my skin color, which is pretty pale most of the time. Iv most of the time had my hair done but a professional ( family friend ) and this is what she uses. The color comes out perfect every time. But i tried it on my own once and it wasn’t the same. Anyway whatever she does is amazing and the color usually lasts a month for me ( i don’t wash my hair everyday, which people with colored hair shouldn’t ) Sorry for the long comment.

P.S LOVE THIS PRODUCT

• Olivia

August 7th, 2012

I used teal on my extensions and it turned out good but when I put it in my actual hair it turned blue. I’m redoing it to see if it will come out teal. Ion fades quickly at the roots. I hope the touch up turns it teal or i’m going to be very disappointed. I’m just not as happy as I should be with Ion brights.

• Frances osorio

August 14th, 2012

I have them all!!!! Best ones love themm

• kim

August 18th, 2012

i used aqua and today went out and bought another color! i loved the aqua so now onto another added color..ill comment afterwards…

• Hugh

August 22nd, 2012

I have naturally dark brown hair that lifts easily. I beached my hair back to blond and then used the teal. LOVED IT. I went on vacation to Mexico, swam in the ocean and was I the sun every day for a week. Even though I failed to used the after color treatment as recommended, my hair only faded by about half. I noticed that pomade products seemed to really pull the color off, so now I stick to non oily or waxy products. Ion Color Defense glossing polish does the trick. I recolored with the second half of the tube (I have short hair) and used the after treatment as recommended and the color is insane! Just rich pure teal! I am a fan.

• anna

August 27th, 2012

dont use Ion brights ‘Sky Blue’ it never comes out after 40+ washes and bleaching i still have blue/green hair. look for some on to call

• Nicole

August 31st, 2012

I am an african american woman, and I just wanted to know if its okay if I use this product to lighten my hair even though it is processed? I don’t want to use it, and then have all my hair fall out! :-/

• Angela

August 31st, 2012

You have to lighten your hair first to have these come out bright. It’s like any semi-permanent, it doesn’t stick as well as a permanent and I feel like they’ll never have a decent dark purple color in perm colors in my life..Heh.

Anyway, did the ion purple after bleaching my hair to a yellow-orangy color and it stuck beautifully and my hair is a natural nearly black color. I love it.

You have to be careful with what shampoo you use, or it will fade fast, just like a manic panic product. Good stuff for the price. Follow the directions, or keep it on for a couple hours if you think your hair might not take it.

• Jenni D.

September 15th, 2012

I recently picked this up in Fuschia and Purple. I mixed the colors together to get the right shade of purple and mixed in some conditioner to get the texture to something that was easier to spread. Left it on for a couple hours with a plastic bag on my head (I forgot to buy a cap, lol). The color came out gorgeous!

I’ve only shampooed twice so far because if you only shampoo every 3 days with these type of colors then it lasts much longer. Both times the water ran quite purple which worried me, but so far there’s been minimal fading. I think I’m going to get some of the Ion Color defense products and see if they help keep the color fresh even longer :D

Here’s a pic http://jenni4design.tumblr.com/post/31596612934/i-used-ion-color-brilliance-brights-in-purple-and I think it’s really bright for indoor lighting!

• Tilisa

September 17th, 2012

How does this work on dark hair?? do you have to pre lighten first??

• Lindsey

September 18th, 2012

Hi, Tilisa! You do have to prelighten first to use this product. Thanks!

• Nikki Nicole

September 19th, 2012

So I wanted Rihanna Red hair so i searched for a red and I found this Ion Color Brillance Brights Red! and Loved the results other people got so I just went to Sally’s and I bought 2 boxes of it! I had already had my hair bleach blonde so I just put the color on and left it for like 45-55 mins… i then rinsed it out and LOVEDD the result and it had like a pinkish red background but i Loved IT ! Im african american so i only wash my hair like every 2 or 3 weeks so at like 2 weeks I washed my hair and IT WAS PINK PINK like NOt reddish pink but PINK PINK ! Im soo mad right now! and it bleeds like crazy so im trying to find something else like maybe Special Effects Nuclear Red Or Manic Panic Pillar Box Red im not sure yet but if you have used manic panic or Special Effects let me know which is better! NikkiNicole XoXO

• jess

September 30th, 2012

I have bleached my hair before n all the other reds fade in two weeks should i bleach my hair again to make this product last??

• Angel

September 30th, 2012

I had used colors before, but never the ion. I bought the sky blue and magenta, I put the blue underneath because u always put pink on top and the lady at Sally’s told me that the magenta was as close to pink that I was gonna get. But she didn’t tell me about the special conditioner. Do I really need it ? Or can I use any color care conditioner that will help me retain my color? Also the blue keeps rubbing off on my neck, I keep cleaning it off with alcohol but when I sleep it rubs it back on & have I have to clean it off again. How do I stop that from happening??

• Taylor

October 1st, 2012

I wanted to try the red color but was wondering if is damaging ?

• Jen

October 26th, 2012

I bought the bright red but now I’m afraid I might never be able to completely wash it out. The original ion colors last long enough for me and my hair always goes back to its natural color… But will the red ever come completely out of my hair?

• Abby

October 30th, 2012

Jen I am in the exact same situation as you I dyed my hair and it looks so perminant. Will it come out? This is scary

• Jen

November 11th, 2012

Abby, I didn’t bleach my hair and I tried some ion red on a few small strands. My hair is brown. It seems to have washed out completely. I also dyed my hair with red kool aid on a few stands and it will NOT come out. It’s been months. If anyone has suggestions on getting that out I would appreciate the advice.

• Kristina

November 27th, 2012

I have the Red, but it’s super super thick. I’ve seen other threads and on the sally’s site of people mixing it with some water or conditioner to make it easier to apple…is this possible? Because it really is a pain in the butt.

• alex

December 1st, 2012

If i use The ion lightener will it damage My hair?

• Brenda Marie

December 3rd, 2012

I normally use L’Oreal Feria R68 for my red but wanted to go “crazy red” and used Splat. It was OKAY (I didn’t use the bleach)… it stained my skin horribly and the red really only “popped” outside in the sunlight. Then (after hearing everyone talk about Sally Beauty so much) I went and got the ion Color Brilliance Brights RED. I used the bleach (from the Splat kit) then 2 tubes (I have long hair). It came out Little Mermaid red. I ADORE it! My ONLY issue is that it NEVER rinses clear. It stains pillow cases, towels… I can’t go in pools, it gets all over the shower, if I sweat or am out in the rain it streaks down my face… but I couldn’t be happier with the color!

• courtney

December 8th, 2012

Bleached my hair with manic panic kit and used ion sky blue over it. Did it 6 weeks ago, and my hair is still as blue as the day I dyed it. Very Smurfy. I shower everyday and didnt use any products to protect the color. The color was so strong my hair stylist was unable to lift it out or dye dark brown over it (it turned green) and we finally had to bleach it to get rid of it. Only use this product if you are very VERY committed to your new color.

• Amanda C

December 8th, 2012

I recently purchased two tubes of the Orange for a friends hair and it was clean with no prOfuct in it an after saturating her hair with both tubes we kept it on for 35-45 minutes and rinsed it out… Literally!! Every bit of the orange came out of her bleached hair and left her with the same hair color she came over with… NOT IMPRESSED

• Jabby C

December 28th, 2012

So part of my hair was blue and its been fading to a aqua and i just bought the sky blue and was wondering do i have to rebleach my hair or can i just go over the aquaish shade?

• Leann H

February 2nd, 2013

Prelightened my daughter’s hair to nearly white, applied magenta, left it on for 30 min and almost all of it washed out, leaving splotchy light pink. Not impressed with this product at all.

• Lindsey

February 4th, 2013

Leann H – It sounds like you prelightened her hair too much. When you get to almost white, there is no pigment in the hair and the hair color will slide right out because there is nothing for it to hold onto.

• Toni M

March 29th, 2013

Used the purple on my dark hair… No pre-lightening as I was covering some mixed grays. Color grabs great on gray and rarely fades. I have out growth and purple. Highly recommend if trying to keep a young look without dying whole head

• Jennifer

June 29th, 2013

I have a client that I’m doing and she needs to the color to wash out of her hair by August 12. If it has not washed out by then can I use a toner to remove the rest. I used a brand on her hair last year and it would not come out if the hair. I had to eat alot of money. I was just curious before I use it on her hair. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you Jennifer. :-)

• Leah

July 25th, 2013

I bought the red. I didn’t pre-lighten my hair. It is bright. My only question is how long will it last without fading.

• Leah

July 25th, 2013

I bought the red. I didn’t pre lighten my hair and it looks great!! My only question is how long does it last before it starts fading?

• Leah

July 25th, 2013

I died it Sunday. And how long will it last if you wash it everyday.

• ramadan songs

July 28th, 2013

fantastic post, very informative. I wonder why
    the opposite specialists of this sector don’t realize this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

• Alanna

September 7th, 2013

im using the aqua color today but how long will it stay in. i dont wanna have a weird blue color for picture day

• Candy

September 23rd, 2013

I would like to see what color looks best on me. Do you have a site I can try. Tried modiface but don’t give exact color names

• Nidhi

December 26th, 2013

Thanks for sharing about ion color brilliance brights and the tips which you shared here.