Hair Extensions FAQ – Part 1

Hair extensions are as hot as ever right now.  We get a lot of questions from customers about how the process works for permanent hair extensions, as opposed to clip-in.  Below are a few of our most commonly asked questions from our customers.  Do you have any questions about hair extensions?  Let us know!  We’d love to hear from you!

Q:  Are hair extensions painful?

A:  If applied correctly by a trained professional, there should be NEVER be any pain or discomfort associated with the hair extensions.  A slight awkwardness can be expected on the first night or two of sleeping on hair extensions, but this is due to the new feeling of the attachment. It is also an adjustment to suddenly have long hair, and have to deal with hair around the face while sleeping.  If pain, irritation, or discomfort occurs after having hair extensions put in, consult another professional to remove or adjust the hair, or possibly to redo the application.

Q: Who is a good candidate for hair extensions?

A: Almost anyone can wear hair extensions.  There are, however, a few cases in which it might be advised against, or one method of application may be better than another.  For example, someone suffering with Alopecia would not be considered a good candidate, as well as those taking certain medications, or with genetic disorders causing loss of their natural hair.  You should always schedule a consultation with a professional before having hair extensions applied.

Q: Will people be able to notice that I am wearing hair extensions?

A: It is important to choose a style and color that matches your own natural hair when choosing hair extensions.  When properly put in by a licensed trained professional hair extension stylist, the end result will be very natural.

• Iris Factora

August 18th, 2011

Can you use extensions on short hair ?

• Casey

August 18th, 2011

I’m wanting extensions put in and my aunt who is a hairstylist in california is ordering me some extensions. I wanted the Great Lengths extensions, are there any others that you would recommend? Also, I am stationed at Fort Hood, Texas and don’t know of any professional salons that do extensions, do you have any suggestions of where to go? Thanks!

• Anne

August 19th, 2011

I have found, for myself, that clip-in extensions are great. I’m less aware of those being in my hair, and the color and length can vary day-to-day. That’s the extension method that truly fits my life and style!

• Courtney

August 20th, 2011

Iris: Absolutely! You can get hair extensions with hair as short as 2-4 inches.

Casey: I’m not familiar with stylists in your area, so you’ll need to do a little research. Make sure you get a consultation beforehand, and ask for references of their previous clients. A good stylist makes ALL the difference when getting extensions. My favorite extensions: Satin Strands I-Tips for the strand-by-strand method, Satin Strands premium hair (on a weft/track) for sewing or bonding, and Euronext for clip-ins.

• chrissy

September 26th, 2011

Hi. My hair is normally worn curley with gel or hairspray otherwise it will poof up with the slightest bit of humitity. I want extentions but I’m scared that once installed my hair will poof up while the extentions stay well managed. Another fear is that it beings to rain and my pre-flat ironed hair gets wet and my hair reverts to being curley. Can hair extentions mimic my hair’s actions? I wouldn’t want to wear my hair just one way for 3-5 months.

• Lindsey

September 26th, 2011

@Chrissy – It’s not recommended to use straight hair extensions with really curly natural hair, unless that hair is put into corn rows, and the extension woven onto them. The two extremes can lose the natural look when put together.

I recommend you use human hair extensions closer to your natural curl pattern, and style them together.

Another option: smooth the natural hair! Use a smoothing treatment like the Silk Elements Kera-Minerals or Ion Keratin treatment, before having the extensions applied. These treatments usually last 6-8 weeks, and can be retouched as needed with the extensions in.