Thinking about getting permanent hair extensions? Don’t know where to start? My advice is, start with a professional stylist. As a matter of fact, you should “interview” a few stylists to make sure you pick the right one. Hair extensions are a commitment so it’s best to do your homework.
The right stylist will take care of you and your natural hair. They should also know how to apply and take care of the extensions in a way that helps you achieve and maintain the look you want.
Here are a few suggestions on questions you should ask:
• Is my hair healthy enough for permanent extensions? (It’s thin, thick, color treated, etc.)
• Will my oily/dry scalp and hair affect the extensions staying in?
• What type of application is best for my hair? Keratin? Fusion Links?
• Based on my own hair type and length, how may strands will it take to give me highlights/low lights/length/volume?
• Will my active life (i.e. working out, swimming, etc) affect how long my extensions last?
• How often should I wash the extensions? How do I wash them?
• Will they tangle? What kind of brush should I use?
• How often should I come in to have them checked?
• What guarantee do you (the stylist) offer on the application method?
• What products should I use that will keep my extensions, my own hair and scalp looking good and healthy?
• Can I use heating appliances on my hair? How do I use heated appliances so they don’t damage my extensions?
• What do I do at night? Is it ok to go to bed with wet hair? What will happen if I do?
I know it sounds like a lot to think about, but it’s important to shop around for the best stylist who will take care of you before, during and long after your extension service.