The comb over: Are you with me on this one?

Janet, my vastly older sister, called me the other night. “I have a great idea for a blog post,” she told me. “You’ve got to tell men with comb-overs to give it up!”

Janet went on and on about this unfortunate styling choice. You’ve seen it – balding men grow their hair long on one side, then flip it over the top of their heads to conceal their baldness.

Yes, the overgrowth of hair covers the bare dome, but it’s an obvious subterfuge. It’s ineffective, and it’s often the source of much joking.

Thanks for the blog idea, Janet. The next morning, I arrived at the office, fired up my computer, and started writing. After clacking out a few hundred words, it dawned on me: Who am I to tell men not wear comb-overs?

I wouldn’t dream of using this forum to tell women to abandon a hairstyle that makes them feel better about themselves. So how dare I use it against men with comb-overs?

Maybe instead of saying don’t do it, I should assist them in their mission. Hey, men, here’s a great gel that will help keep your comb-over in place!

Biotera Volumizing Spray Gel. It gives medium hold and even adds some volume. You can use it on wet hair after you shower, or dry hair anytime. Sweet!

There it is. I just recommended an excellent gel that’ll even help with comb-overs. No, I never expected to find myself doing that.

Our mission is to offer the right products to help women – and men – achieve the look they want. Perhaps even when it’s the much maligned comb-over.

So I ran this idea by my editor, Lindsey. She said she understands my point. But another colleague, Jennifer, objected. Jennifer told me that all men with comb-overs must be aggressively discouraged from continuing the practice. And she said I should ask women why they allow their men to wear comb-overs.

Where do you stand?

Should we support beauty decisions like comb-overs? Or should we spread our scorn and insist that all men get an honest haircut?

Click on “comments” near the top of this page to let me know. I’m waiting!

• Nancy

March 4th, 2011

I agree with your sister and Jennifer. Tell your man, ” NO COMBOVERS!’ Who do they think they are, Donald Trump?
    Thank you for another great blog! ; )

• JK

March 4th, 2011

HONEST HAIRCUT!!! Every time – no comb overs. And I would say the same to women with a horribly unattractive beauty habit.
    There are things that do not look good on ANYONE. The comb over is one!

• Patty

March 4th, 2011

I think any man that has the courage and confidence to wear a comb over should be heralded! When I see a man with a wonderfully groomed comb over it makes me smile-and wonder-who the heck is this man’s barber????

• JanSu

March 4th, 2011

A male friend at work wore a comb-over. One day we were looking at photos from a conference and my friend was in some photos taken from above his head, and his comb-over was very apparent. He asked me what I thought. I told him I didn’t think it was working for him. The next day he came in with a great bald cut. Much sexier!

• Jill

March 4th, 2011

William gives great information!

Love that guy!

• Melissa

March 5th, 2011

I think that if a guy can pull it off and make it look decent, got for it. If it’s not, I like the bald buzz. Of course, we do have those iconic guys like Gene Kady (sp), former BB coach of Perdue who always has a great comb-over and I love to joke about it. It’s a part of American culture, so I’d hate to see it disappear. Besides, what other hair mishaps could be joke about if it was gone?

• KY Nancy

March 5th, 2011

Get an honest haircut!!!

• Wendlyn

March 5th, 2011

Take it to the next step and just shave it all off. :)

• JanSu

March 6th, 2011

The best combover I ever saw: I was at a banquet and I was facing the back of an older gentleman at the table in front of me. His combover began at the nape of his neck in a swirl and just worked all the way up to the top and sides of his head. Pure genius! That’s the combover that’s worth keeping.

• Mary Ann.

March 9th, 2011

I have a full head of hair, and having never faced baldness myself … who am I to judge? It’s all in how a person carries him- or herself. When I find myself cringing at what I perceive to be a fashion error, I ask myself, “What about that reminds me of something I don’t like about me?”

• Nancy

May 13th, 2011

Hey, when are you going to write a new blog. Your’s are alway so much fun to read. Miss you.

• Mike

June 13th, 2011

I don’t understand the problem with comb-overs. Don’t people with full heads of hair style their hair in all sorts of weird patterns to look cool. Some men can pull it off and others can’t.

I say the comb-over is notdifferent than the punk, the ponytail, the Fabio, the skin head, or the shaved pate of the old japanese samurai. If it looks better and feels good, go with it.

Someone should start a movement and teach how make comb-overs right for you. Or is this a bunch of hair cutters trying to protect a $50 service charge for something men can do at home for next to nothing?