READ THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK: A quick survey of warning labels

Every time we write about topics like hair coloring or waxing, we remind our dear customers to read the instructions carefully.

Let’s face it – when you’re applying chemicals to your hair or your body, it’s important to follow the steps and do it right.

It turns out that some instructions enclosed with beauty products can be amusing. One of the other Sally Beauty bloggers mentioned to me that some blow dryers and styling irons have this warning:

NEVER USE WHILE SLEEPING

She’s an honest person, but I just had to see it for myself. I checked. Yep, it’s there.

So I spent some time reading labels and scanning the instructions.

Most products say USE ONLY AS DIRECTED. Seems obvious, but OK.

Lots of shampoos and conditioners say FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY. As much as I like my shampoo, I’ve never had even the slightest desire to guzzle a bottle of it. But maybe that’s just me.

Lots of warnings say KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN, and some say KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS. One even said KEEP OUT OF REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN. Maybe HIDE THIS IMMEDIATELY is next?

But then it gets a little obvious: On a skin treatment system: DISCONTINUE IF IRRITATION OCCURS. Similarly, a leave-in conditioner says IN CASE OF POSSIBLE IRRITATION TO SCALP, STOP USING. Does it really take an outside party to inform someone that if her skin is irritated, she needs to stop using the product?

Here’s a favorite, on a professional wax warmer: DO NOT APPLY HOT WAX ON EYES.

I’d love to hear some of the wacky or all-too-obvious warnings you’ve come across, whether it’s a beauty product or something else. Just click the “comments” link under the headline, but keep in mind, VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.

• JK

February 16th, 2011

On a blow dryer from Sally Beauty a few years ago “Do not use while in the bath/shower”.
    I returned this blow dryer immediatly – I mean do you have any idea how much of my morning beauty routine is cut out by the face I blow dry my hair while still in the shower?

• William

February 16th, 2011

I guess multi-tasking can be dangerous, JK!

• JK

February 16th, 2011

“fact I blow dry my hair while still in the shower?” Sorry about the typo!

• Nancy

February 16th, 2011

I really like this one. “For external use only!” found on a curling iron. It is unreal what manufactures have to do to avoid a law suit.
    I think it is has gotten a bit out of hand. Warning “My opinion only.” In no way is Sally’s Beauty or any of the employees responsible for this remark.

Once again, a great blog. Thanks.

• Erin

February 16th, 2011

As silly as the “DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING” hair dryer warning sounds, apparently some people do, in fact, use their hair dryer while sleeping:

Humans are a strange species :)

• Lindsey

February 16th, 2011

Wow!

• cassidy

February 16th, 2011

Not a beauty product, but holiday lights that say “FOR INSIDE AND OUTSIDE USE ONLY”

• Lindsey

February 16th, 2011

That’s hilarious! What other options are there?!

• G

February 16th, 2011

I read somewhere long ago that lawsuits set the guidelines for warnings on labels, so you might assume that someone actually did the things the warning labels tell you not to do! LOL!

• JanSu

February 21st, 2011

I always like “objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.” In my case, “objects in mirror really are stray eyebrows that need to be plucked.” But that’s a different story.

• William

February 23rd, 2011

LOL

• mindy

February 25th, 2011

These are great!

• William

March 1st, 2011

Thanks, Mindy!

• Jenn

June 12th, 2011

It’s not a warning, but my husband thought that the parafin wax warmers were meant to be used to massage your hands and feet! I told him that the warmer gets the wax really hot and it’s meant for a dipping not a soaking like a hot tub :-)